Troskala on the Hard – 04th to 09th April 2013

DSC00747Okay, enough Superyacht stories.  We made it back safely to Troskala but unfortunately she was not in the state we had left her.  She had now grown a lovely green beard and a nice black oil stain on the waterline from the dirty marina we had left her in.  It was also noticed that three impacts had been made to port side and bow side, but only faint scratches, but nothing too serious but still annoying nonetheless.


We were quick to leave and take her up to Jolly Harbour ready for checking out.  On the way we found her sluggish and less than responsive due to growth.  At 2,500 revs I was only making 4.0 knots over ground whereas I would normally achieve 5.5 knots.  As we were walking around Jolly Marina Carlotta suggested that we could have her hauled out now instead of in America; I could not agree more.  We visited the yard on the night we arrived and were booked for 10:00 the following morning.


Jolly Harbour was a great choice as the yard staff were all kind and extremely knowledgeable.  We were ready the next morning by the crane and at 10:30 she was being lifted out after 6,700 sea miles and 9 months on the water.   It was true; she was very fouled with all sorts of marine growth clinging to her belly.  We had also noticed a strange vibration on the propeller shaft, which we had put down to the rope cutter.  This was the case as two of the supporting washers that keep the blade in-line had completely deteriorated; it was time to completely remove the rope cutter and instead fix another anode on the shaft as we had already lost the end shaft anode and I could already sea electrolysis occurring on the end of the propeller; thank God we took her out now instead of later.


After a spray down she was settled into her stands and the work progressed, first to clean up the prop and the second to sand her down.  I hate antifouling but the worst part of it has to be the sanding.  As we had used a European Antifoul that could not be brought over here I had to strip her paint right back to primer.  Here is the most useful piece of information I can give here.  If you want to Antifoul your boat buy the antifoul in St Martins or America.  We paid for a gallon of Seahawk (heavy stuff) 10,71 EC, which works out to be £300 per tin, we needed two so already the antifoul was double the cost of the haul out, which was very cheap.


We did the necessary work and I even painted the Hydrovane rudder, which manages to get fouled every two weeks.  The total cost came to £900, which includes the yard fees and paint, a little more than I expected, but she looks good and will hopefully sail much faster than before.  The good thing about taking your yacht out in Jolly is that you have a great Supermarket 5 minuets away and the best beach in Antigua 10 minutes away so when the heat of the day was too much we would just head to the beach to cool down before continuing work on Troskala.


Again, I cannot sing the praises of the staff any more.  Everyday a gentleman would come over to gave advise and help for free, it made the cost just about bearable.  After 5 days on the hard Troskala was launched looking like new and with no vibrations coming from the shaft.

The finished article
The finished article

6 thoughts on “Troskala on the Hard – 04th to 09th April 2013

    1. yes I have taken a yacht out in the boatyard and they are very good, and the chandlers have a good stock. but it is the duty on all things into Antigua, you can see why I like to go there. Best wishes Jim.

  1. Hi Oliver and Carlotta – I have been busy on a mad project and come back to the blog to find you ‘superyachting’ and antifouling! I’ve managed to catch up with all the vids and blogs – lovely reading and helps make the rainswept UK days bearable. I must say Troskala looks in fine fettle after the Atlantic… your Dad seems to have had the most ‘dinks’ by the sound of it.

    Anyhow, happy sailing!

    All the best
    Mark and Heather
    ‘Cariblue’ (launched last week so at last we can get sailing again)

    1. Hello Mark & Heather. We were missing your comments and we are glad to hear all is well and that Cariblue is back in the water; you must be excited. How was your project? I hope it went well. All is well our end. We are now in St Maarten’s and will be staying here until MOnday due to bad weather (it is blowing 40 knots outside). We will continue up to the BVI’s on MOnday and spend a month their. Troskala is doing well although found that some of our engine mounts were loose so spend the day re-alligning the shaft and engine. When do you think you will get out sailing in Cariblue and where will you go?

      I have heard that the weather has improved slightly although a little cold still. I do hope you get at least some good weekends to sail her. Have you got any big boat projects on the horizon? In regards to the calendars that you so kindly offered us to buy. I spoke with family and crew but they already had a few calnedars and declined so I am sorry about that but thank you so much for including Trosksla on them. Do you have any photos of Cariblue?

      Anyway, I hope you have some safe sailing trips – send my regards to the Solent.

      Speak soon,

      Oliver & Carlotta

      1. Hi Oliver
        Yes the weather has finally sorted itself out in the UK (for the moment of course!) – the BVI sounds fab I must say! Heather didn’t get as far as that when she did the Arc. Can’t believe the colours of the waters on your pics, real holiday brochure stuff! I guess the engine mounts might have worked a little loose as they are quite new aren’t they? Have you got ‘enclosing’ washers on the nuts I wonder. Very simple little square washers that you bend up to prevent the nuts from undoing. I had them on the Bukh engine in out Sadler but I’m not sure we have them on the Volvo on Cariblue.

        We had a nice 45 minute chat with Darryl at Banks Sails in Southampton – we only went in for battens and have probably come out agreeing to a new main and headsail in 2014! He was very helpful though and showed us all the different materials – n the end he recommended hydranet but not radial cut, a cross-cut. As we are planning the Med in 2016/17 he reckoned a hydranet cross-cut for both head and main. The reasons were: much better UV resistance, less stitches than a radial, will hold shape longer than Dacron and last around 10 years, more affordable than higher spec material, and the cross-cut has rip-stoo in the fabric whereas the radial doesn’t. So you can imagine I am going to research this a fair bit. He said about 1500 for a main in hydranet which seemed a tad pricey but… did you get new sails at any point?

        Anyhow the first decent weather weekend and we’ll be across the channel no doubt. Can’t wait!

        Oh by the way the calendar for you was totally free. I ordered you one in honour of your efforts! The ROA had asked me to do the calendar but it was a bit of a disaster as only a few ordered it. I did it just to help them out and for free. Luckily I had already made the decision not to print a batch up and only do them to order, using Apple’s iPhoto (the ROA had told me not many ever ordered them in the past). Doing it this way they were too expensive for most pockets. I shan’t be doing it again! But please do feel free to email me your Dad’s address and I’ll send him the free copy for you.

        I don’t know if I told you how I repaired the bush in the bottom of the rudder shoe? Originally we had a fairly loose ‘feel’ to the rudder, coming from a disappeared bush in the bottom of the rudder shoe. As Cariblue has long been on a drying mud mooring, the mud clogged up the bottom shoe drain hole (at the bottom of the skeg) and the mud collected in the shoe and acted as a grinding paste wearing away the bush. To replace it would seem to involve unbolting the shoe (and this involves cold chisels and hammers etc according to the ROA forum). So I cut a small length of 20mm domestic sink pipe (white polypropylene I think) and then cut a section out of the circle so it became a ‘c’. Then hoisted the rudder up with one hand and eased the ‘c’ shaped pipe over the the rudder shaft at the bottom. Then tapped it into the shoe with a small hammer and a piece of wood. Job done! Cost was nothing as I had a bit of pipe in the garage. I made 2 more as spares and so far this one has lasted the whole of last season and shows no signs of giving up. Of course very easy to replace should it go south anytime! If you ever need one let me know.

        Anyhow, will keep you posted on any decent trips we do and we look forward to further updates from Troskala.

        All the best and happy sailing
        Mark & Heather

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s