Well, the time has come to think about work. We have been discussing our future opportunities for a while now and how we can avoid returning to London to pick up the desk job. Money has not been an issue and our monthly budget seems to be holding well with another year and half worth in the bank. Our decision to work has primarily come from boredom. I understand that anyone reading this in the UK will be thinking that we are crazy, but whilst talking to a friend we ended up saying that yes, tomorrow is another beach and the after that will be another beach and so on. We have found that both of us need to get our teeth into something that exercises our mind and our bodies. This is not to say that Troskala’s travels are over, this could be not be further from the truth but before we head to the Pacific a little money and a foundation for a new career would be a sensible option at this stage.
So we are in the Charter Yacht Capital at the moment and have been talking to several friends about what it is like working for Moorings, Sunsail, BVI Charters and so on. The more information we have received the better this lifestyle appears to be. We are both very sociable, have a hospitality background and love sailing; could there be a better career for us to take up?
This decided we managed to make some contacts. At this stage all has been very good but unfortunately I lack my Yachtmaster Practical, ENG 1 (medical) and a commercial endorsement all of which are needed to become a licensed Captain for vessels; up to 200 gross tonnes. As you can imagine this has changed our plans somewhat. There is no point continuing the search without to correct paperwork, wo we have put the networking to bed for now and will focus more on getting the licenses as soon as possible. I have now booked my Yachtmaster course in Antigua; not many places do this RYA qualification and Antigua really is the best place, so in the next few weeks and after we have visited Puerto Rico, the American Virgin Islands and Spanish Virgin Islands Troskala will begin sailing back to Antigua. In the meantime we have had an interview with a large charter company who may have an opportunity for us in October; our second interview is tomorrow so please keep your fingers crossed for us. 🙂
Once we have the qualifications, which will take a week we are left in quite a tricky situation. Hurricane Season is dawning and on the 01st of June we will be in it. We do not know whether to head to St Lucia, Trinidad or Granada, or head back to the British Virgin Islands; does anyone have the right answer? We understand from talking to numerous cruisers that this year is to set to be a record year for hurricanes but this can be just ‘dock talk’ with no fact, so before we set sail another 400 miles south we need to know exactly how bad it is likely to get out here.
If our job prospects come together we will be leaving Troskala for a month to return to the UK and then to Spain to tie up some loose ends and say hello to family and friends before returning to the Caribbean in September.
There is a lot of change happening and these are now very exciting times with the chance of a new career and some more money to be able to carry on our circumnavigation.
We will let you know how we get on and we hope you are all well.
Oliver & Carlotta